Friday, January 20, 2006

the taste of chicken

chicken. do you love chicken? I love fried chicken wings, deep fried breaded chicken drumsticks, spicy chicken vindaloo, juicy chicken curry, tender chicken tandori, ayam masak merah and on and on and on. I actually like the taste of pork better. darn the trichinosis! anyway, before I sound like a meat craving freak, what led me here is this post on how chicken tastes different here. supposedly asian chickens taste better. hmm.. what did I just say?

anyway, the first thing I noticed when I came over to the states is that dark meat is cheaper than light meat. what dark what light? dark meat is the finger-licking fatty part such as the drumsticks! light meat is the dry tasteless part such as chicken breast. bleah. back home the drumsticks costs more than the breast, but it's the other way around here. I suppose people here tend to eat the breast because it is healthier and has less fat and what not, so it is more in demand compared to the sinfully fatty dark meat. how about just eating less chicken? well, I'm not complaining since it's to my advantage. more fatty dark meat for me!! don't we all ask for the juicy drumstick and thigh pieces at kfc? actually I have no idea if people do the opposite here. that would be pretty stupid wouldn't it? deep fried breaded chicken. does it really matter now how much saturated fat is in the dark meat?

I have to say that I haven't noticed the blahness of the american chicken. but then, I only buy free-range chicken when I cook. so I can't really say what the average chicken tastes like. but the hainanese chicken rice at the malaysian restaurants here taste pretty good. and I doubt they use free-range chicken. what I did notice, however, is that the kfc here taste like crap. pure crap! ok, some of them are better than others, but there really is no qc and each outlet is different. but more often than not, the chicken sucks. which is pretty sad because you're expecting finger-lickin artery clogging goodness, but you're left with dried out pieces of artery clogging crap. kfc in malaysia is so delish! crispy fatty skin, yes I do eat that damn piece of solid form of fat! tender juicy meat with tendrils of steam floating up. nice nice nice! but over here, more often than not, the chicken is dry and blah. it is so wrong!! just like crappy ice cream. sinful things should be oh so good! otherwise, why bother? breyers, friendlys and turkey hill ice cream suck. ice cream is supposed to make you happy and satisfied!! it has to be haagen daz all the way! b&j is good too, but I like my ice cream less complicated.

ok ok, back to the chicken. I still am not sure about the asian chicken taste better thingy. supposedly asian chickens are treated better? don't think so. not malaysian chickens anyway. but kampung chicken soup does taste much better than regular chicken soup. not the chicken, but the soup. yum!!! but having kfc here is not equivalent to binging or indulging. you're much better off with freshly deep fried chicken wings from a good chinese takeout. so the next time I'm back home, I'll be sure to make a stop at kfc. so what if kfc is american. it tastes much better back home. and speaking about american imports, bring back the kampung burger already!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home